I’ve started the project to replace the standing rigging on my 1979 Morgan 462 ketch. The original rigging is stainless steel wire with swage fittings.

I replaced the main cap shrouds, main backstays and mizzen cap shrouds first, pulling both masts to do it. I wasn’t comfortable trying to replace those shrouds and stays with the masts still stepped. I only replaced those six because I wanted to get the masts back in the boat as soon as possible. I’ll replace the remaining shrouds and stays with the masts in the boat.

The rig uses four different sizes of wire. I found a supplier of Type 316 stainless steel 1×19 wire in Oakland, CA. The wire was made in Korea and the vendor had the test certificates for the wire. The largest diameter wire cost less then $2.50 per foot.

To cut the wire, I made a jig from a block of polypropylene. I drilled a hole through it and then cut a notch perpindicular to that hole. I used a 32 teeth per inch bi-metal hacksaw blade and cut the wire by hand. The cutting was low effort and made a clean cut.

For the terminals, I used Hayn Marine compression fittings. I chose these because I wanted to assemble them by hand and I also want to be able to disassemble them, to either clean and inspect them or to replace a damaged wire. The terminals are pricey, but I’m quite satisfied with them. I needed about an hour to assemble the first one, figuring out how to un-lay and then re-lay the wire and to get the pieces of the Hayn fitting in the right place. The subsequent fittings only needed about 15 minutes each to assemble.

For turnbuckles I used Type 316 studs and bronze open bodies. To prevent seizing and galling I applied some TefGel to the threads on both ends of the body.

Now that those six shrouds and stays are back on the boat and the masts have been tuned, I’m ready to replace the main lowers, mizzen lowers and the triatic. I plan to use the same wire and compression fittings, but to install the new rigging one cable at a time, without removing the masts. One thing I will be more careful about is the size of the Clevis pins on the bottom end of the shrouds. The new turnbuckles used a larger diameter pin than the old, so I had to enlarge the holes in some of the chainplates.

Advertisements